Saturday, July 19, 2008

I AM NOT FAUST

I am not Faust. I will not sell my soul, that is, my work, to corporations that think they can pay writers pennies for their hard work, and that we will sell it gladly, outright, with next to nothing in return. I’m sick of CEOs trying to get one over on the rest of us, making their money on the backs of desperate writers. I know I sound like a crazy conspiracy fanatic, but Prevention magazine wants to hire bloggers. That is, bloggers who are willing to give up ALL rights to their own work AND let their company use the writers as their personal PR lackeys AND use those writers’ personal MySpace and Facebook pages as billboards for said company in their “social marketing techniques.” All for “up to” $100 a month.

Speaking of selling your soul, I watched the ORIGINAL Bedazzled with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore the other day. Fabulous. Must see. Check it out.

And now your Irish curse of the day (yea):

MAY YOUR PARTNER BE AN UNFEELING BRUTE.

Yeah. That’s what I have to say to anyone who tries to take advantage of me just because I’m broke and desperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment