Saturday, July 12, 2008

THE BITCH IS BACK

No, I’m not dead. I’ve merely been in an intellectual coma. But not to worry, I’m awake again and the doctors have given me a clean bill of health. I even took a brisk stroll around the fertile grounds of imagination today.

Aside from having a productive day creatively speaking, I also got a surprise phone call from my long lost best friend. Unlike me, she actually has a very busy life with school, and a real job, and a real boyfriend (though my imaginary boyfriend does take up quite a lot of my time). The point is that I hadn’t talked to her in weeks, and frankly, it was beginning to make me a bit, well, crazy. Literally. I began to develop some imagined falling out we must have had, some way I had slighted her without knowing. Some reason I had not heard from her in so long. Solitude can do this to a person. Especially in the absence of a person who is so essential to your life, to your sense of who you are and how the world works. Like separated identical twins.

But things now seem right in the world again. We tend to forget how much we need human connection, even writers, especially writers. Ours can be such a lonely and narcissistic existence, spending an unhealthy amount of time alone with nothing but our own thoughts. We need the touchstones in our lives to keep us sane. I do, anyway.

One last matter of business I’d like to address today. I’m introducing a new feature to the blog… (drum role)…

The Irish curse of the day! (Yea!)

I picked up a little book of Irish curses last summer while on the Emerald Isle, and it’s quite funny, so I’d like to share it, one curse at a time. How nice. That and I’m trying to come up with filler and maybe a hook to keep people coming back—or, to get them to start coming—to the blog. So without further ado, your Irish curse for Saturday, July 12, 2008!

MAY YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR A LONG TIME ON WEAK LEGS

Wow! That’s a scorcher! See you here tomorrow for another installment of…

The Irish curse of the day! (Yea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment