Sunday, June 15, 2008

ON THE NATURE OF BLOGGING

I’ve been thinking about this, to me, still strange phenomenon of blogging. The idea of writing every day for an audience is a bit daunting. I’m fairly used to writing daily, since I’ve kept a journal for years, though sometimes sporadically. But then that was private writing. Yes, sometimes something would come out that I found I could put to use later somewhere else, but there wasn’t the pressure to entertain, inform, or in some way benefit or interest in any way an audience. Not that I have more than one or two in said audience at the moment. And I have written daily on something that was meant to ultimately be read—ultimately being the operative word. Not today, but someday. After many revisions. So is blogging really anything more than, as I have suggested before, self-involved rambling? I certainly don’t think anyone would call it literature, but can it be edifying, either to reader or writer? I am still discovering the nature of this beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment