Friday, June 13, 2008

ON FINDING FREELANCE WORK

After spending all day today glued to my laptop, I think I have already discovered the biggest pitfall of attempting to start a freelance writing (not creative writing) career. It isn’t not being able to find jobs. It’s finding too many. One can get so easily lost in the maze of the internet, surfing link to promising link until stopping to look around and realizing you’ve wondered way off course and have no idea where you are, where you were, and where to go next. At first one is encouraged by the number of opportunities out there, then a bit confused, then completely overwhelmed. And the more jobs I looked at, the more my confidence waned, until I was convinced that I am woefully unqualified to write about anything whatsoever. So I had to check my compulsion and vow to try again tomorrow. But I think the only way to go about it and still retain some semblance of sanity (such as it is) is to pick one website, just one, and look through the listings for that day AND THAT DAY ONLY, and if I find something that I might be able to con the employer into believing I’m qualified for, great. If not, there’s always tomorrow. And tomorrow. And tomorrow. Otherwise I’ll just become one of those people who is a full-time searcher-for-work (Haven’t we all dated this guy before?) instead of a full-time worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment